Lavender Shortbread Cookies
Author: Columbia Basin Culinary
Recipe type: Dessert
Shortbread has a long and unique historical association with Scotland. They are a rich and delectable cookie made from the foundation of only 3 ingredients; butter, sugar and flour. The simplicity of the ingredients allows for creativity when adding different flavors to the cookie mix. This recipe flavor focus is a classic combination of lemon and lavender. Lavender is a complimentary herb, which is best used in small amounts. Not all lavender buds are suited for cooking. For best results with this recipe order your premium lavender culinary buds and lavender confectioners sugar from Lavender Boutique at thelavenderboutique.net
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon dried culinary lavender buds
- 1 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- ½ cup lavender confectioners sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- preheat oven to 350°F (176° C)
- Whisk flour, salt and culinary lavender bud together in a bowl.
- In another bowl using an electric mixer, cream butter until it is smooth. Add lavender confectioners sugar and beat until mixture is light and fluffy.
- Beat in the lemon zest and lemon juice.
- Gradually add flour mixture, beating just until it is combined with the butter mixture.
- Flatten the dough into a disk, wrap in plastic wrap, and chill for at least one hour.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll cookie dough until it is about ¼ inch
- Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. Use a cookie cutter shape of your choice to cut the dough into individual cookies.
- Place the cookies on cookie sheets and chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes. This action will help the cookies to maintain their shape during the cooking process.
- Bake shortbread in the middle rack of the oven for 8 - 10 minutes, or until golden brown.